Mr. Koyugi is a co-founding Partner of AKIPLAW ADVOCATES. He brings to the firm vast experience and expertise in labour, tax law, international trade law and commercial litigation where he has acted and provided legal advisory services to several domestic and multinational companies. Mr. Koyugi has been at the centre of a number of tax disputes where he successfully represented both local and international companies and organizations before the Tax Revenue Appeals Board and the Tax Revenue Appeals Tribunal.
Other areas of specialization where Mr. Koyugi has carved out a name for Page 7 of 14 himself include corporate governance and practice, arbitration of disputes and contract law. He has also been pivotal in the provision of legal advisory services to clients on a host of legal issues. In addition to University teaching for the past nine (9) years, Mr. Koyugi has further handled major insolvency proceedings before the superior courts of record, and further represented clients in various debt recovery negotiations with a view of reaching an out of court settlement. He has further handled numerous labour disputes including, but not limited to, unfair termination claims, retrenchment disputes, collective bargaining agreements and organizational labour rights.
- Master of Laws (LL.M.), University of Dar es Salaam, 2005
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons) (LL.B.), University of Dar es Salaam, 2004
- Partner, AKIPLAW ADVOCATES, since 2015
- Head of Department - Litigation, Mkono & Co. Advocates - 2013 - 2015
- Advocate, Mkono & Co. Advocates, 2009 - 2013
- Advocate, High Court of Tanzania, since 2008
- Lecturer, University of Dar es Salaam, since 2006
- Intern, Mkono & Co. Advocates, 2004
- Acting for a telecommunications company before the High Court of Tanzania in a breach of contract suit with a claim in excess of US$.7 million;
- Acting for an international investor before the Tax Revenue Appeals Board and Tax Revenue Appeals Tribunal in a tax dispute in excess of US$.11 million;
- Representing a telecommunications company before the High Court of Tanzania in winding up petition for a debt of US$.77 million;
- Advising and acting for an international investor in a class labour dispute for redundancy benefits in excess of US$.1 million;
- Conducting due diligence on a multimillion dollar telecommunications company to inform the pretakeover decision making.
- Advising and acting for a public utility Government institution in a breach of contract claim for US$.2 million;
- Advising and representing an international investor in a claim for damages for US$.600,000.00.
- Advising two oil and gas companies engaged in offshore oil and gas exploration.
- Representing an international investor in debt recovery negotiations.